Monday 4 May 2009

musical bumps

It has been a complicated week, too difficult to describe except in bits. On Wednesday, I had just returned from D`s funeral at the crem, when S fell over just outside, and lay immobile, unable to speak. An ambulance came quickly, and four paramedics. I went with her to A and E leaving a bewildered group of Romanians, with limited English, who had just arrived. They were an orchestra from Bucharest and unconcious S had organised a concert tour for them in Winchester, Wales, Southampton and Lewes. She was the only one who knew who their host families were and all the arrangements. I spent a few hours with her in A and E where she slowly recovered, and thankfully xrays revealed she had broken no bones, she was just terribly bruised and concussed. I had two musicians staying in the Meeting House plus several other B and B`s and also the coach driver. There was an awful moment when I was convinced that the Romanian flautist who followed me in at the front door on Saturday was wanting to go to a meeting of Narcotics Anonymous and I firmly took him into the library and told him to sit there.
The concert was lovely, they were wonderful musicians and warm friendly people, but it was a huge logistic enterprise. Fortunately S made a rapid recovery, and they have left Winchester for the next bit of their tour.
I spent yesterday afternoon washing piles of bedlinen and now feel comforted by the sight of ironed sheets and pillowcases on top of the aga and all the beds made up and mercifully empty for a day or two.
Another event at the weekend was that the Jewish community in Winchester asked to have their Sabbath service at the Meeting House on Saturday, followed by lunch here. Our Meeting room looked very different with all their scrolls and suchlike. So we had Russian Orthodox in April, Jewish faith in May.
Time for me to do some writing for my group tomorrow. I haven`t an idea in my head, so pray for some inspiration. I am going to a writing retreat at Charney Manor on Wednesday, so hope that helps.
I am very pleased that the new Poet Laureate is a woman and I love Carol Ann Duffy`s poetry. I am sad though that the Quaker poet, U A Fanthorpe died on Friday. I met her several times and went to readings by her and she knew Julia too.

No comments: