Monday 5 April 2010

too much stuff

Everyone who comes to the house is ordered to take something, anything away, coal scuttles, my mother`s dinner plates, brass candlesticks, teapots,woolly hats,maps of the Lake District, fish knives and forks, but even so the number of filled boxes piling up in the garage, on the landings and in my flat seems enormous when I consider my tiny living space in Ditchling.
Tomorrow, J, an ex resident whose dad lives up North is taking some superfluous furniture to grand daughter F for me , so I thought I would buy an outfit for great grandson little Arthur, to go with it. What a shock to see what baby boys of four months old are supposed to wear: combat trousers in thick denim, orange striped rugby shirts. It all looked rough and tickly.
Normal life is in suspension at present, and I have not celebrated Easter properly at all. This time last year I was up in Northumberland cycling round Cragside on a family holiday in spring sunshine, but here I am ,up and down the stairs with bags of coat hangers and bubble wrap feeling anxious about the imminent moving day.

No comments: