Friday 27 February 2009

grasping the nettle

I have been Warden here at the Meeting House for fifteen years next month and the years have gone in a flash. It is an ideal job for me as I love cooking and providing meals, making beds and folding things up, tidying rooms and in truth I even enjoy cleaning and there is plenty of scope for all that here. Also I like having a houseful of people both the ones living here and all the groups coming and going. So it is quite a challenge for me to think about giving it up and but I have decided to set a date and work towards it. So I have said that I will retire on May 1st 2010, unless of course I fall down the stairs or collapse with some dire complaint before then. So it is a relief to have made a decision and I can now get myself geared up to it.

It is my day off and I am not in Brighton this week so I am going out in the garden in lovely Spring sunshine to plant a blackberry, a loganberry and a raspberry up against the wall at the end. So future wardens can make some fruit crumbles for the Quakes Sunday lunches. I am also going to buy a new lawnmower as I can no longer cope with the vagaries of our ancient petrol mower which is hell to get started. I think the lawn is starting to grow.

No comments: